Swimming Is For Life: Meet Jurgen Schmidt
Posted on February 23, 2015
Swimming is for life. Need more proof? Look no further. Speedo’s model of the year for 2015 is…. Jurgen Schmidt, a 91 year old Masters swimmer. Yes, that is correct. No, Speedo did not pick some 20 year old buff super-jock. Speedo selected 91 year old Jurgen Schmidt from Huntington Beach, California. He swims about a mile almost every day at Masters swimming and competes in a number of Masters meets every year. He is a retired comptroller for a meat packing company and will turn 92 years old this month. His advice?-“Don’t be afraid to get in the water.”
In the interview with Speedo, he is asked, “Why do you swim at 5 AM?” He answered, “In the afternoon you have water walkers and noodle floaters in the pool. I want a real workout.” You must admit you got a chuckle, right? He said that he plans on swimming to the end.
Here are Jurgen’s Five Longevity Tips:
- Eat well. His daily breakfast: Oatmeal, golden raisins, low-fat milk, orange juice and coffee.
- Sleep well. He’s in bed by 9 PM every night and gets eight hours of sleep.
- Stay active. He faithfully stretches and does floor exercise before his daily swim.
- Stay engaged. He meets and converses daily with friends at his senior complex.
- Count your blessings. I’ve had a great life. I’m lucky.